If your small business mails letters and ships packages regularly, chances are you’re spending too much on postage. And while you know it’s an issue, other priorities may keep you from addressing postage costs. Consider these simple ways to save money on postage:
- Use a postage meter. You can then take all the guesswork out of mail weight and help reduce your postage costs. Plus, you’ll never have to buy stamps again. You can find a mail meter online or from a local office supply store.
- Watch your package and envelope size. Stick to sending letters and packages that are within standard postal sizes. For example, instead of sending materials in a flat-size envelope (9″ x 12”), use a 6″ x 9” or #10 envelope.
- Use USPS Priority Mail® Flat-Rate Packaging. That way, you pay a flat rate on your packages for both domestic and international mail. And as long as your parcel is under 70 pounds, the rate remains the same.
- Compare prices to keep costs down. Whatever you’re sending and wherever it’s going, take a look at the different options available to send your mail — U.S. Postal Service, UPS, DHL or FedEx. Ask your local postal store or USPS office about the best possible way to send mail, such as bulk mail, third-class, among others. You may also consider using an online postal service to help you compare prices and arrange pick-up or delivery.
- Use light packing material. Everything matters when it comes to sending packages — from the item you’re sending to the material used to pack it. As you can imagine, the lighter the material you use to package the things you send, the better.
- Find alternatives to mail. Offer e-billing to your customers or clients and use Pinnacle Bank’s online bill pay for your bills. And consider marketing or sending announcements through email instead of mail to save on costs.
Shipping and handling may be unavoidable costs, especially if you have an
e-commerce business. By taking these steps to reduce your postage costs, you may have more money available to help your customers in other ways.